LIBRARY NEWS! READ ALL ABOUT IT:
Tuesday, May 30th Author/Illustrator Dana Sullivan
Meet Author/Illustrator Dana Sullivan
Tuesday, May 30th
Horace Mann Elementary School is proud to welcome back author/illustrator, Dana Sullivan for a visit on Tuesday, May 30th for grades K-5. Dana’s visit will include a reading of Kay Kay’s Alphabet Safari and he will discuss with readers his most recent graphic novel series Dead Max comix.
Dana Sullivan is the author/illustrator of acclaimed picture books Ozzie and the Art Contest, Kay Kay’s Alphabet Safari, The Digger and Daisy early reader series, and the Dead Max Comix series. Dana lives in Port Townsend with his wife Viki, and their dog Bennie. When he isn’t busy writing, you will find Dana teaching workshops in his local community and works as the Regional Advisor for SCBWI Western Washington. Dana loves to visit schools for assemblies and lead smaller presentations or workshops in the library.
If you are interested in getting a personalized copy of one of Dana’s books, please refer to the book order form attached. Select the titles you would like to purchase and return the completed order form with payment to your teacher by Friday, June 2nd. Books will be autographed by Dana and delivered in June before school releases for summer break.
Our Mission: To ensure that students are effective users of ideas and information.
Welcome to the Horace Mann library! Students attend library class once a week for instruction and any students visit the library daily to read, study, and check out books. The school library program is directed by Shannon Leonard.
We have a large collection including books, magazines, and reference materials including online databases. Our collection is constantly growing and we are able to purchase current materials to enhance the curriculum and for student reading pleasure.
We have four computers for students to use for school work and to access Destiny, our electronic catalog during library class time, morning, lunch and afternoon recess.
- Search the Horace Mann Library Catalog Search for books in our library from home using our online catalog
- Book Recommendations Looking for a good book? Try these recommendations!
- Policies & Curriculum In the LWSD library program, at the end of each level, students should have had experience with each critical content area. Students will not necessarily have instruction in each content area every year.
- AR BookFinder Search for an Accelerated Reader book. This site includes all Accelerated Reader books available.
- Guidelines for Works Consulted Lists In LWSD, elementary students should follow this introduction to the Modern Language Association (MLA) format for crediting sources in their papers.
- Research and homework help Grades K to 6 - link to LWSD site
- King County Library KCLS is a tremendous resource for books, databases, homework help, book reviews, and much more.